When I remember myself in the past, I remember a
girl who started studying because of her aunts and all women who were abused. I
thought this will never happen to me if I am educated and can stand up for
myself. It has been true so far.
Many women still live today in a society that
undermines them and abuses them. The abuses may come in different manners such
as physical and psychological violence, labor discrimination, society
expectations and many others.
Women who are abused inside their houses by either
their husbands or any other relatives find it hard to escape and start a new
life because they do not have the means for doing so. A woman who is a
housewife and faces physical violence is likely to follow two paths: death or
submission. They do not have other choices especially if they have children. Their
lack of choices comes from a position where they have never been independent.
They lived with their parents and then they moved with their husbands. Usually these
women find little value in themselves and have a rather poor educational
background.
By society expectations I mean abortion. Women are
abused in many countries today to their right of choice in being a mother or
not. It is no longer a matter of morality, but a matter of respect of women’s
choices. I don’t see people judging the choice of a man for playing football,
watching football or talking about sex. Abortion should not be a matter of what’s
right and what’s wrong. Abortion should be a matter of personal choice which
should not be questioned. As a woman, I want to be able to decide whether I
want to have a baby or not. We need to make the choice because we are worthy of
choices as humans we are.
Empowering women through language and education is essential
to our societies. Women who are abused in multiple manners need power to stop
people from stepping on them. I think learning a foreign language like English
can empower women and contribute to their standing up for their rights. I think
English is a perfect means to discussion and reading and developing critical
thinking and emotional intelligence for those women who are at a temporary disadvantage.
Knowledge is power and when women gain knowledge they can understand that they
do have options. They will become their number one advocate.

No comments:
Post a Comment